[Newsletter] Announcements from Alchemy Mindworks

alchemyreply1753 at mindworkshop.com alchemyreply1753 at mindworkshop.com
Sat May 11 10:13:08 EDT 2019

    Click here to UNSUBSCRIBE
    <http://mindworkshop.com/mailman/options/newsletter>. (
    http://mindworkshop.com/mailman/options/newsletter )

          Contents:

     1. * Pagan Daybook 9 Revision 2
        *
     2. ** Graphic Workshop Professional 9 Revision 11 *****(second
        notification)***
     3. * PNG MNG Construction Set 9 Revision 3****(second
        notification)* * *
     4. * GIF Construction Set Professional 9 Revision 3 ***(additional
        notification)**
     5. **Security Vulnerabilities and Software Updates ****— ****Read
        This!****
        **
     6. *Replying to this Message, List Removal and Details *

    <http://www.stevenwilliamrimmer.com/theorder.html>*
    **
    A pagan daybook on steroids...

    Click on the book.***

        Pagan Daybook 9 Revision 2

    Pagan Daybook 9 has been updated. This release:

      * Updates the *JPEG functionality* in Pagan Daybook to be
        blindingly, shockingly *fast*... and possibly violate a few laws
        of physics. This seriously speeds up the graphic themes in Pagan
        Daybook.

        The new JPEG reader also addresses a number of potential
        *security holes* which could have allowed a maliciously-crafted
        JPG file to execute arbitrary code and compromise a computer
        running previous releases of Pagan Daybook.

        We urge everyone running Pagan Daybook to update to this release
        really, really soon — some time yesterday would be ideal.

        If you're running a version of Pagan Daybook *older than version
        9*, please see the *Upgrades***section, below.

      * Updates the Pagan Daybook *image handling libraries* with our
        new anti-tampering logic to make them more secure and resistant
        to cyber-cretins.

      * Adds several new themes... based on cool paintings. Check out
        Love Among the Ruins, from the picture by Edward Coley
        Burne-Jones, and Three Graces, from the picture by Sandro
        Botticelli.

      * Fixes some bugs and cosmetic issues in a number of the interface
        windows around the application.

      * Improves the texture generators used to create theme backgrounds.

      * Addresses a number of GDI and performance issues that software
        developers never really stop meddling with.

      * Updates the documentation.

        <http://www.mindworkshop.com/pagan.html>

          Upgrades

    If you have registered or upgraded a registration for Pagan Daybook
    8, we invite you to upgrade to Pagan Daybook 9 for *half the current
    new-user price*.

    *Older software: *If you're running a registered older version of
    Pagan Daybook — Pagan Daybook 4 or better — we'd like to urge you in
    strongest possible terms to upgrade to version 9, so the security
    holes in the old JPEG reader don't risk letting the slime of the
    Internet access your computer.

    For the duration of this update cycle — for the next week, at least
    — we invite you to*upgrade to Pagan Daybook 9* for *half price*,
    even if the reduced-price upgrade window is no longer valid for your
    version.

    Just ignore the warning about upgrades only being applicable to
    version 8 and 9 at our e-commerce page — your Pagan Daybook upgrade
    order will be accepted.

    Click on the blue button below to visit the upgrade page.

        <http://www.mindworkshop.com/upgrade.html>

        Graphic Workshop Professional 9 Revision 11***(second
        notification)***

    Graphic Workshop Professional 9 has been updated. This release:

      * Improves the performance of the View mode high-speed window
        update logic even more, so it's quicker than ever. No physical
        laws are being broken by Graphic Workshop, but a few of the ones
        that only scientists understand might be getting bent on occasion.

      * It has come to our attention that some Windows screen drivers
        choked on the new high-speed View window in Graphic Workshop
        when they were asked to display really large pictures. When this
        happened, the View window displayed a blank screen. While we
        can't actually fix this problem — as it's not part of Graphic
        Workshop per se — we have built a work-around for it. If the
        high-speed display logic gets into trouble, it now automatically
        falls back to the old compatible update mode, which, while
        slower, isn't affected by this issue.

      * Under some builds of Windows, the Graphic Workshop View window
        and Graphic Workshop itself would disappear for an instant when
        the View window closed. This was particularly noticeable for
        systems running Windows Aero themes... which, yes, is most of
        them. Note the use of the past tense in this description — it's
        history.

      * The View mode Zoom function now tracks the center of the image
        being displayed as you zoom in or out, which helps cut down on
        the need to mouse around as you change magnification levels.

      * Updates the JPEG library for all the Graphic Workshop ancillary
        applications to use higher-quality image reading. The exact
        nature of this improvement is touched on in the next paragraph.
        Be strong.

      * Allows the LIB JPEG Turbo DCT to be selected. Okay... grab
        something solid. A discrete cosine transform, or DCT, is the
        arithmetic underpinning of JPEG compression, and if your eyes
        just glazed over having read the foregoing sentence, be
        comforted in knowing that this will be last time the subject
        will come up. The blazingly fast LIB JPEG Turbo JPEG reader
        introduced in the previous update to Graphic Workshop allows for
        two DCT options. The fast one is fast and the not quite as fast
        one is more accurate, and results in somewhat more faithful
        imaging. In practical terms, we couldn't measure the speed
        difference in house, and for this reason, Graphic Workshop
        defaults to using the more accurate DCT option. If you really
        want to get every extra microsecond out of the LIB JPEG Turbo
        processor – and especially if you're sitting in front of a
        fairly slow computer – you can speed up JPEG reads a bit by
        enabling the Turbo JPG Fast DCT option in Setup.

      * Fixes a bug in the Filters window Resize pane that occasionally
        estimated the size of a resized image incorrectly, depending on
        how the rounding errors fell.

      * Fixes a bug in the Zoom window that caused it to fall into
        optimum view mode if you tried to zoom in past 1600 percent in
        some circumstances. Nothing bad happened, but it was a bit weird.

      * Fixes a bug in the Carbon Adjusted theme that caused it to
        miscalculate the vertical size of the a browser file pane by one
        pixel, and in so doing leave one row of blank thumbnails. In
        that Carbon Adjusted was specifically written to avoid wasting
        screen real estate like this, it was an issue.

      * Updates the documentation.

      * Addresses a number of GDI and performance issues that software
        developers never really stop meddling with.

        <http://www.mindworkshop.com/gwspro.html#download>

          Upgrades

    If you have registered or upgraded a registration for Graphic
    Workshop Professional 8, we invite you to upgrade to Graphic
    Workshop Professional 9 for *half the current new-user price*.

    *Older software: *If you're running a registered older version of
    Graphic Workshop — Graphic Workshop 4 or better — we'd like to urge
    you in strongest possible terms to upgrade to version 9, so the
    security holes in the old JPEG reader don't risk letting the slime
    of the Internet access your computer. (See the fourth section of
    this posting for more about JPEG vulnerabilities.)

    For the duration of this update cycle — for the next week, at least
    — we invite you to*upgrade to Graphic Workshop Professional 9* for
    *half price*, even if the reduced-price upgrade window is no longer
    valid for your version.

    Just ignore the warning about upgrades only being applicable to
    version 8 and 9 at our e-commerce page — your Graphic Workshop
    upgrade order will be accepted.

    Click on the blue button below to visit the upgrade page.

        <http://www.mindworkshop.com/upgrade.html>

        PNG MNG Construction Set 9 Revision 3(aditional notification)

    PNG MNG Construction Set 9 has been updated. This release:

      * Updates the *JPEG functionality* in PNG MNG Construction Set to
        be blindingly, shockingly *fast*... and possibly violate a few
        laws of physics.

        The new JPEG reader also addresses a number of potential
        *security holes* which could have allowed a maliciously-crafted
        JPG file to execute arbitrary code and compromise a computer
        running previous releases of PNG MNG Construction Set.

        We urge everyone running PNG MNG Construction Set to update to
        this release really, really soon — some time yesterday would be
        ideal.

        If you're running a version of PNG MNG Construction Set *older
        than version 9*, please see the *Upgrades***section, below.

      * Updates the PNG MNG Construction Set *image handling libraries*
        with our new anti-tampering logic to make them more secure and
        resistant to cyber-cretins.

      * Nails a bug that could cause the thumbnails in PNG MNG
        Construction Set's document windows to be created incorrectly
        when an animation was generated by Animation Wizard.

      * Addresses a number of GDI and performance issues that software
        developers never really stop meddling with.

      * Updates the documentation.

        <http://www.mindworkshop.com/pngpro.html>

          Upgrades

    If you have registered or upgraded a registration for PNG MNG
    Construction Set 8, we invite you to upgrade to PNG MNG Construction
    Set 9 for *half the current new-user price*.

    *Older software: *If you're running a registered older version of
    PNG MNG Construction Set — PNG MNG Construction Set 4 or better —
    we'd like to urge you in strongest possible terms to upgrade to
    version 9, so the security holes in the old JPEG reader don't risk
    letting the slime of the Internet access your computer.

    For the duration of this update cycle — for the next week, at least
    — we invite you to*upgrade to PNG MNG Construction Set 9* for *half
    price*, even if the reduced-price upgrade window is no longer valid
    for your version.

    Just ignore the warning about upgrades only being applicable to
    version 8 and 9 at our e-commerce page — your PNG MNG Construction
    Set upgrade order will be accepted.

    Click on the blue button below to visit the upgrade page.

        <http://www.mindworkshop.com/upgrade.html>

        GIF Construction Set Professional 9 Revision 3 (additional
        notification)

    GIF Construction Set Professional 9 has been updated. This release:

      * Updates the *JPEG functionality* in GIF Construction Set to be
        blindingly, shockingly *fast*... and possibly violate a few laws
        of physics.

        The new JPEG reader also addresses a number of potential
        *security holes* which could have allowed a maliciously-crafted
        JPG file to execute arbitrary code and compromise a computer
        running previous releases of GIF Construction Set .

        We urge everyone running GIF Construction Set to update to this
        release really, really soon — some time yesterday would be ideal.

        If you're running a version of GIF Construction Set *older than
        version 9*, please see the *Upgrades***section, below.

      * Updates the GIF Construction Set *image handling libraries* with
        our new anti-tampering logic to make them more secure and
        resistant to cyber-cretins.

      * Nails a bug that could cause the thumbnails in GIF Construction
        Set's document windows to be created incorrectly when an
        animation was generated by Animation Wizard.

      * Addresses a number of GDI and performance issues that software
        developers never really stop meddling with.

      * Updates the documentation.

        <http://www.mindworkshop.com/gifcon.html>

          Upgrades

    If you have registered or upgraded a registration for GIF
    Construction Set 8, we invite you to upgrade to GIF Construction Set
    9 for *half the current new-user price*.

    *Older software: *If you're running a registered older version of
    GIF Construction Set — GIF Construction Set 4 or better — we'd like
    to urge you in strongest possible terms to upgrade to version 9, so
    the security holes in the old JPEG reader don't risk letting the
    slime of the Internet access your computer.

    For the duration of this update cycle — for the next week, at least
    — we invite you to*upgrade to GIF Construction Set 9* for *half
    price*, even if the reduced-price upgrade window is no longer valid
    for your version.

    Just ignore the warning about upgrades only being applicable to
    version 8 and 9 at our e-commerce page — your GIF Construction Set
    upgrade order will be accepted.

    Click on the blue button below to visit the upgrade page.

        <http://www.mindworkshop.com/upgrade.html>

        Software Vulnerabilities and Security Updates **— ****Read This!**

     From time to time, we release updates to Alchemy Mindworks'
    software to address security issues. We're in the midst of doing so
    now.

    These things can seem a bit scary. To help explain what they entail,
    we've added a post to our blog that gets into them in detail. No
    long words or funny math appear therein... we promise.

    We urge all our users to click on the big blue button below and
    check it out.

        <http://blog.mindworkshop.com/gif-construction-set/security-issues-and-software-vulnerabilities/>

        Replying to this Message, List Removal and Details

    This message has been sent from an unmonitored address - please do
    not reply to it.

    To remove your address from this mailing list or to change your
    address, please visit our web page at
    http://www.mindworkshop.com/update-list.html or click on the
    Unsubscribe button:

        <http://mindworkshop.com/mailman/options/newsletter>

    Removal requests will be processed instantly.

    If you have questions about this list or any Alchemy Mindworks
    products, please contact us at
    http://www.mindworkshop.com/email-alchemy.html or click on the
    button below:

        <http://www.mindworkshop.com/email-alchemy.html>

    You can also contact us by telephone at (705) 789-5238, and by
    snail-mail at Alchemy Mindworks, L10 C8 Brunel Box 11, Huntsville,
    ON P1H 2J3, CANADA.

    If you don't see any graphics in this message, your mail reader is
    probably blocking them. Please visit:

        http://blog.mindworkshop.com/alchemy-mindworks/graphics-in-update-list/

    for assistance with resolving this issue.

    Follow us on:

    	<https://twitter.com/AlchemyMindwork>
    <https://www.facebook.com/alchemy.mindworks.5>

    Copyright (c) 1998 - 2019 Alchemy Mindworks. All rights reserved.
    Use no hooks.