[Newsletter] Announcements from Alchemy Mindworks

Alchemy Mindworks alchemy8147 at mindworkshop.com
Sat Oct 25 09:34:00 EDT 2014

     Contents:

     1. e-Paint 5 Revision 3

     2. Pagan Daybook 5 Revision 2 (Second Notification)

     3. 10 Breathtaking Tweets about Graphic Workshop
        (Additional Notification)

     4. Negative on POODLE (Second Notification)

     5. Replying to this Message and List Removal

     Read this book and be teleported back to the age of Victoria.

         http://www.stevenwilliamrimmer.com/theorder.html

     (Buy railroad stocks while you're there and you'll own half the planet.)

     1. e-Paint 5 Revision 3

     e-Paint 5 has been updated. This release:

     - Adds saveable tools. Each of the e-Paint tools having at least one
       user-adjustable parameter in the tool palette window can now be
       saved to disk, and later restored. You can save as many configurations
       of each tool as you like. Refine e-Paint's brushes, drawing tools
       and selectors for specific tasks, and keep each one until you can
       hand them down to your descendents.

       See the discussion of Opening and Saving Tools in the section of the
       e-Paint manual that deals with the Tool Box. It's right beside the
       hippopotamus - you can't miss it.

       Click on the small blue button in the tool palette window to access
       this feature.

     - Updates the File menu thumbnails. They render somewhat quicker, and
       they now include a size threshold to prevent really huge pictures from
       provoking unreasonable delays the first time you open the File menu.
       See the discussion of the Maximum Preview Dimension item in the
       e-Paint Setup window to configure this value to your liking.

     - Adds an option to Setup to allow e-Paint's initial magnification level
       to default to something other than 100 percent. See the Default View
       Mode item in the Application panel.

     - Updates lots of things in the e-Paint drawing tool rendering engine.
       It's a bit quicker, somewhat more precise and generally a happier
       entity.

     - Fixes a troublesome resource leak.

       IMPORTANT: If you're still using e-Paint 4, we urge you to consider
       upgrading to e-Paint 5. Doing so will resolve the aforementioned
       resource leak, and prevent it from collapsing space-time in upon
       itself and destroying the universe as we know it... which is likely
       something you'd rather not be blamed for.

     - Fixes a number of additional issues that appeared during the upgrade
       to version 5.

     You can download e-Paint 5 from:

         http://www.mindworkshop.com/paint.html#download

     UPGRADES

     If you registered or upgraded a registration for e-Paint 4 on or after
     May 1, 2013, you’re welcome to a free upgrade to e-Paint 5.

     If you registered or upgraded a registration for e-Paint 4 prior to
     May 1, 2013, you can upgrade to e-Paint 5 for half the cost of a new
     single-user license.

     When you first run e-Paint 5, it will check to see if you have a
     registration for e-Paint 4 on your system. If it finds one, it will
     display a window to tell you which of the foregoing upgrade options is
     applicable. Click on the Upgrade button to visit our web page and
     request or order an upgrade.

     The upgrade window can subsequently be accessed through the Help >
     Upgrade Manager > Upgrade from Previous Version item of e-Paint 5's
     menu bar.

     You can also visit the no-cost upgrade page directly at:

         http://www.mindworkshop.com/pntkey.html

     and the upgrade order page at:

         http://www.mindworkshop.com/upgrade.html

     2. Pagan Daybook 5 Revision 2 (Second Notification)

     Pagan Daybook 5 has been updated. This release:

     - Adds multiple screen saver modes. In addition to just orbiting your
       screen, the screen saver window now knows a number of new tricks.
       You can configure its options with the Screen Saver Mode combo in
       Setup. The default Random option will display a different mode each
       time the screen saver activates. The Infinite Loop option will return
       Pagan Daybook's screen saver to its traditional orbit.

       See the section of the Pagan Daybook Manual that deals with Screen
       Savers for more.

     - Addresses a number of potential issues in the screen saver.

     - Fixes a troublesome resource leak.

       IMPORTANT: If you're still using Pagan Daybook 4, we urge you to
       consider upgrading to Pagan Daybook 5. Doing so will resolve the
       aforementioned resource leak, and prevent it from turning you into
       a newt when you least expect it.

     - Addresses some metrics issues in the Window Size feature.

     - Improves the speed of the fractal texture generator responsible for
       the backgrounds in most of Pagan Daybook's nicer themes.

     - Fixes a bug in the music player.

     - Updates the observance database.

     - Updates the Credits window... this one thrilled us as well.

     - Implements our work-around for the Microsoft installer limitation
       that hitherto required each previous release of Pagan Daybook to be
       uninstalled before an update could be installed. This release
       of Pagan Daybook 5 can be installed right over the previous one -
       it will in fact automatically uninstall the previous software as
       part of the install.

       While we're just tickled with how well this worked in house, we are
       aware that some third-party install managers and security
       applications meddle with the software installation process, and in
       so doing might break our clever innovation. If you encounter any
       issues with installing this release of Pagan Daybook, please let us
       know what happened.

       We hasten to add that you'll still need to click on the Enter Your
       Registration Key button in the opening window of the newly updated
       Pagan Daybook 5 to handle validating it. Assuming that you allowed
       Pagan Daybook to save your key to disk last time, this will involve
       clicking on Next several times and then closing the "thank you"
       window.

     - Fixes a bug in the PNG import library that could crash the File
       Open window or the application itself if a grey-scale PNG file were
       selected for the Personal Days feature.

     - Fixes a number of issues that appeared during the upgrade to
       version 5.

     - Updates the documentation.

     Please see the discussion of version 5 enhancements at:

         http://www.mindworkshop.info/gif-construction-set/v5-upgrades/

     You can download Pagan Daybook 5 from:

         http://www.mindworkshop.com/pagan.html#download

     UPGRADES

     If you registered or upgraded a registration for Pagan Daybook 4 on or
     after June 1, 2013, you’re welcome to a free upgrade to Pagan Daybook 5.

     If you registered or upgraded a registration for Pagan Daybook 4 prior
     to June 1, 2013, you can upgrade to Pagan Daybook 5 for half the cost
     of a new single-user license.

     When you first run Pagan Daybook 5, it will check to see if you have a
     registration for Pagan Daybook 4 on your system. If it finds one, it
     will display a window to tell you which of the foregoing upgrade options
     is applicable. Click on the Upgrade button to visit our web page and
     request or order an upgrade.

     The upgrade window can subsequently be accessed through the
     Upgrade Manager -> Upgrade from Previous Version item of the right-click
     menu of Pagan Daybook.

     You can also visit the no-cost upgrade page directly at:

         http://www.mindworkshop.com/pagkey.html

     and the upgrade order page at:

         http://www.mindworkshop.com/upgrade.html

     3. 10 Breathtaking Tweets about Graphic Workshop
        (Additional Notification)

     Yes, it probably does depend a lot on what takes your breath away...

     If you're among the tens of thousands of Graphic Workshop users who
     don't follow us on Twitter - we're in no way offended by this - you'll
     likely have missed the ongoing tweets that deal with often-overlooked
     features of the known universe's most popular image management
     software.

     Graphic Workshop's ability to do practically everything that can be
     done to pictures makes it relatively easy to use it every day for
     years and still miss a few of its better tricks.

     Here are ten more of the finest features you never knew it had, fresh
     from the Alchemy Mindworks Twitter account:

     - Avail your photos of texture with the Canvas filter.

     - Now includes e-Paint UltraLight - like Photoshop without the
       financing.

     - Transmute anything into light & color with the Neon filter.

     - Refine your photos with Photography Workshop.

     - Be a star with the Shape Mask filter... or a sun, or a cube...

     - Transform PDFs into graphics with the Postscript plugin.

     - See the world through a downpour with Water Drops filter.

     - When reality just doesn't cut it, try some fractals from the
       Texture and Fractals feature.

     - Build instant distributable photo montages with Montage UltraLight.

     - Manage duplicated files with the Keep Both option of the Overwrite
       Files prompt.

     You can download a copy of Graphic Workshop from:

         http://www.mindworkshop.com/gwspro.html#download

     If you're still using Graphic Workshop Professional 4, we invite you
     to enjoy all the new functionality, enhanced performance and cool
     things to click on - for half the new-user registration price. Please
     see:

         http://www.mindworkshop.com/alchemy/upgrade.html

     See http://www.twitter.com/alchemymindwork to follow us on Twitter.

     4. Negative on POODLE (Second Notification)

     Despite every fiber of our beings insisting that the Padding Oracle On
     Downgraded Legacy Encryption web server vulnerability issue must have
     been someone's idea of a lame joke on a slow news day - because, yes,
     that phase does result in the acronym POODLE - it really is a thing.

     We'd like to take this opportunity to note that the Alchemy Mindworks
     web servers have been tested for the recently-discovered POODLE
     vulnerability, known in more serious circles as CVE-2014-3566.

     POODLE is not present on any of our systems.

     Your downloads and transactions with our web servers remain secure.

     Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms
     and their Rehabilitation Into Society, perhaps?

     5. Replying to this Message and List Removal
     address, please visit our web page at:

         http://www.mindworkshop.com/update-list.html

     Removal requests will be processed instantly.

     If you have questions about this list or any Alchemy Mindworks
     products, please contact us at:

         http://www.mindworkshop.com/email-alchemy.html

     You can contact us by telephone at (705) 789-5238, and by snail-mail
     at Alchemy Mindworks, L10 C8 Brunel, Huntsville, ON P1H 2J3, CANADA.