[Newsletter] Announcements from Alchemy Mindworks

alchemyreply0991 at mindworkshop.com alchemyreply0991 at mindworkshop.com
Sat Mar 3 10:20:52 EST 2018

    Click here to UNSUBSCRIBE
    <http://mindworkshop.com/mailman/options/newsletter>. (
    http://mindworkshop.com/mailman/options/newsletter )

          Contents:

     1. * Graphic Workshop****Professional* 8 Revision 6 (new this weekend)
     2. * Screen Saver Construction Set *8 Revision 2(second notification)
     3. Do You See the *G**raphics* in this Message?
     4.   Replying to this Message and List Removal

    <http://www.stevenwilliamrimmer.com/legacy.html>*

    Murder, treachery, dark forces, lust, madness, witchcraft and
    really, really bad behavior.
    **
    (..and that's just chapter one. Click on the book.)
    *

        Graphic Workshop Professional 8 Revision 6 (new this week)

    Graphic Workshop Professional 8 has been updated. This release:

      * Addresses some security issues in the JPEG library used by
        Graphic Workshop and several of its ancillary applications.

        It's our understanding that the previous version of the JPEG
        library used by Graphic Workshop could have allowed a
        maliciously-crafted JPEG graphic to execute arbitrary code on a
        host computer.

        The world includes some really scary people.

        Graphic Workshop itself and the library called by its ancillary
        applications to read and write JPG files have been rebuilt using
        the latest - and wholly secure - JPEG functionality.

        We'd like to urge all users of Graphic Workshop to update to
        this release ASAP.

        Don't close this message 'til you've clicked on the appropriate
        button below.

      * We've also updated the ancillary JPEG reader to be aware of the
        presence of EXIF metadata in the JPEG files it reads and adjust
        the orientation of the resulting pictures if they were taken
        with a camera held in something other than the traditional
        landscape position. While Graphic Workshop itself has handled
        this function for years, now the applications that come bundled
        with it - such as Presentation Wizard UltraLight, e-Paint
        UltraLight and Montage - do so as well.

      * Addresses a number of GDI and performance issues that software
        developers never really stop meddling with.

      * Updates the documentation.

        <http://www.mindworkshop.com/gwspro.html#download>

          Upgrades

    If you have previously registered or upgraded to Graphic Workshop
    Professional 7, you can upgrade to Graphic Workshop Professional 8
    for half the cost of a new single-user license.

    *
    NOTE:* If you're currently running Graphic Workshop Professional 6
    or Graphic Workshop Professional 7, we strongly recommend that you
    upgrade to the current release to address the JPEG archive
    vulnerability described above.

    Users of Graphic Workshop Professional 7 can upgrade to version 8
    for half price.

    While the half-price upgrade path from the version 6 software has
    expired, our upgrade e-commerce page will accept half-price upgrades
    from users of Graphic Workshop Professional 6 for the next two weeks.

    If you see a message therein to the effect that upgrades are only
    available for version 7 and 8, you can safely ignore it.

    Click on the huge blue button below.

        <http://www.mindworkshop.com/upgrade.html>

        Screen Saver Construction Set 8 Revision 2(second notification)

    Screen Saver Construction Set 8 has been updated. This release:

      * Adds a Scrapbook. Quickly add your page objects - buttons,
        pictures, animations, frames and such - to the Screen Saver
        Construction Set Scrapbook so they can subsequently be browsed
        and reused in later presentations. If you build or maintain
        multiple Screen Saver Construction Set documents, this thing
        saves several light-years of mouse activity.

        There's a complete discussion of the new Scrapbook feature in
        the Reference document for Screen Saver Construction Set's
        manual, stealthily entitled "Scrapbook."

      * Updates the JPEG reader to address several security
        vulnerabilities. This is a potentially serious threat, and we
        strongly urge all users of Screen Saver Construction Set to
        update to this release immediately.

      * Updates the JPEG reader to adjust the orientation of images
        taken with a camera that was something other than horizontal at
        the time, and which added EXIF data to the JPEGs in question to
        indicate their correct orientation.

      * Updates the document runtime.

      * Updates the installer script generator.

      * Address several issues with the Page editor. We're loath to call
        them "bugs," because, really, who likes bugs...

      * Improves the graphic import filter logic to deal with more weird
        and mutated graphic file types. Yes, they're out there, and they
        know where you live.

      * Adds assistance buttons to the initial registration key windows.
        Click on the question marks if you discover yourself to be lost.

      * Addresses a number of GDI and performance issues that software
        developers never really stop meddling with.

      * Updates the documentation.

    <http://www.mindworkshop.com/gwspro.html#download>

        <http://www.mindworkshop.com/scspro.html#download>

          Upgrades

    If you have previously registered or upgraded to Screen Saver
    Construction Set 7, you can upgrade to Screen Saver Construction Set
    8 for half the cost of a new single-user license.

    Click on the huge blue button below.

        <http://www.mindworkshop.com/upgrade.html>

        Do You See the Graphics in this Message? (second notification)

    We've heard from several subscribers to the Alchemy Mindworks update
    mailing list about how much more readable these postings would be if
    they included pictures. A few small icons would be cool, perhaps
    some clickable buttons...

    Needless to say, there were pictures in this one when it was
    uploaded to the list server.

    If you're not seeing the graphics, chances are your mail reader is
    blocking them. Some web-based mail clients and software mail
    applications do so by default, either to conserve bandwidth or under
    the assumption that some graphic objects can be potential security
    threats.

    We hasten to add that the PNG graphics in these postings aren't
    among them.

    If you're not seeing the pictures, please visit

        http://blog.mindworkshop.com/alchemy-mindworks/graphics-in-update-list/

    for the whole lurid tale, and a set of mouse-friendly instructions
    for resolving this issue. In other circumstances we'd have used a
    cool graphic button for the foregoing link, but if you need it, you
    wouldn't have been able to see it.

        Replying to this Message and List Removal

    This message has been sent from an unmonitored address - please do
    not reply to it.

    To remove your address from this mailing list or to change your
    address, please visit our web page at
    http://www.mindworkshop.com/update-list.html or click on the
    Unsubscribe button:

        <http://www.mindworkshop.com/update-list.html>

    Removal requests will be processed instantly.

    If you have questions about this list or any Alchemy Mindworks
    products, please contact us at
    http://www.mindworkshop.com/email-alchemy.html or click on the
    button below:

        <http://www.mindworkshop.com/email-alchemy.html>

    You can also contact us by telephone at (705) 789-5238, and by
    snail-mail at Alchemy Mindworks, L10 C8 Brunel, Huntsville, ON P1H
    2J3, CANADA.

    Copyright (c) 1998 - 2018 Alchemy Mindworks. All rights reserved.
    Use no hooks.